We begin in Old Manchester, leaving Town behind as we cross the Irwell into Salford Nouveau.
Behind us sits Albert Bridge House, currently under threat from the developers, currently resisted by the 20th Century Society.
Designed by EH Banks for the Ministry of Works, Ian Nairn in Britain’s Changing Towns, believed it to be:
Easily the best modern building in Manchester, and an outstanding example of what good proportions and straightforward design can do.
Across the way the People’s History Museum – formerly the Pump House.
Built between 1907 and 1909 the Pump House was designed by City Architect Henry Price.
The station was electrified in 1925, and was the location for the closing ceremony at the end of 1972. After closure, it was used as a workshop by the City College. In 1992, it was designated a grade II listed structure. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power. The pumps were made by the Manchester firm of Galloway’s.
Its vast Engine Hall is now where People’s History Museum holds events, learning sessions, workshops and community exhibitions.
Austin Smith Lord were responsible for the recent extension.
The Doves of Peace sculpture was created by Michael Lyons and unveiled on September 8th 1986.
The World’s First Nuclear Free City.
To the left the Manchester Civil Justice Centre 2007 by Denton Corker Marshall.
Commissioned by the former Department for Constitutional Affairs – now the Ministry of Justice, the building was funded as a Public–private partnership and is the centrepiece of the Spinningfields development. The building opened to widespread acclaim for its expressionist dynamism, environmental credentials and high-quality design. It was nominated for RIBA’s Stirling Prize in 2007.
Named one of the Best British buildings of the 21st century – by Blueprint magazine in 2011.
Crossing over the Albert Bridge take a look to the left – the now derelict Mark Addy, a POMO dreamworld of 1981, closed in 2014, subsequently drowned by the rising tide of the river.
Mark Addy was a true hero in Salford back in the late 19th Century, being awarded the Albert Medal by Queen Victoria. A keen swimmer and oarsman, he is credited with rescuing more than 50 people who fell into the River Irwell, saving them from drowning and certain death.
Jim Ramsbottom was a Salford entrepreneur and bookie who wanted to create a classy joint on the waterfront.
Albert Bridge is a Grade II listed skew arch bridge. A replacement for an earlier structure, New Bailey Bridge, it was completed in 1844.
An 1843 investigation of the earlier structure, built between 1783 and 1785, revealed that it was in such poor condition it would have to be completely replaced. A special committee decided on a design by George W. Buck, costing about £9,000.
The new bridge was opened on 26 August 1844.
The first vehicle to cross was a donkey cart, from Manchester.
Washington House aka City Wharf came and went – demolished in 2015
Before that the land, between New Bailey Street and Irwell Street and between the Irwell and the railway viaducts, was home to the New Bailey Prison. It was built in 1787 and operated until Strangeways Prison was built to replace it. The New Bailey Prison closed in 1868.
Work is progressing on the new BT Building.
Contractor Bowmer + Kirkland has started construction of Four New Bailey, a 175,000 sq ft office building at English Cities Fund’s Salford scheme.
The BT letting was a huge endorsement for what we’re trying to achieve here at New Bailey and this commitment confirmed to us that we’re creating a neighbourhood that leading names want to be part of – said Phil Mayall, regional director of the English Cities Fund, a joint venture between Muse Developments, Legal & General and Homes England.
Four New Bailey, designed by Make Architects, is the fourth office to come forward at the consortium’s New Bailey scheme, part of the wider £1bn Salford Central masterplan.
One New Bailey by Renton Howard Wood Levin Architects.
A 125,000 sq ft state-of-the-art office development funded and owned by Legal & General, occupying a prominent position in the heart of the city. With large, regular and efficient floorplates of over 17,000 sq ft, One New Bailey has been developed to the latest BREEAM Excellent specification.
Following the success of One New Bailey attracting leading international law firm, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, as its long-term base for its Global Centre, the English Cities Fund is proud to introduce Two New Bailey Square – a 188,500 sq ft state-of-the-art of office development occupying a prominent position in New Bailey and the city as a whole. Two New Bailey Square perfectly balances the characteristics of a high quality, sustainable office building with an honesty and integrity that will a provide truly unique development.
Architects – Alford Hall Monaghan Morris
Three New Bailey by Make Architects
We’ve designed a building that people will enjoy working in, along with new, welcoming spaces around it that will become assets for the community.
Stuart Fraser Lead project architect
New Bailey NCP Car Park
English Cities Fund and National Car Parks have officially launched the new 615 space, nine storey car park at New Bailey, which is due to open in early December.
The £12 million car park, which was designed by architect Renton Howard Wood Levin Architects and constructed by Morgan Sindall has been forward funded by Legal and General and let to NCP on a 35 year lease.
This purpose built flagship multi-storey car park features a number of benefits for customers. These include state of the art larger and quicker lifts, energy efficient LED lighting and automatic number plate recognition. The online booking service includes pre booking facilities and level monitoring communicates to drivers which levels have available parking spaces. There are also direct links to the NCP customer contact centre via a number of help points throughout the car park, as well as 27 CCTV cameras for increased safety and six charging spaces for electric cars.
The car park is also conveniently located adjacent to Salford Central train station.
The car park has been designed by AHR Architects.
Phil Mayall, development director at ECf said:
The addition of a second car park is key to the New Bailey masterplan and we’re delighted to once again be working with NCP to help bring that forward.
Yet more residential blocks- The Slateyard by AHR Architects
Our stylish collection of 1, 2 and 3-bedroom apartments near Spinningfields are supported by an extraordinary catalogue of amenities, including a state-of-the art gym, landscaped garden, games room and much, much more.
But if you want to experience renting at its finest, you’ll just have to take a look for yourself.
Walking the Ring Road alongside and under the Ordsall Chord 2017 – BDP
Structural engineers WSP and Aecom with Mott McDonald who created the stunning ribbon form in Corten steel
Ordsall Chord, also known as the Castlefield Curve, is a short railway line in Ordsall, Salford, England, which links Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Victoria, designed to increase capacity and reduce journey times into and through Manchester.
The ferocious Factory pulling faces from Manchester.
OMA designed the factory to be ultra-flexible, enabling large-scale artistic work of invention and ambition.
Dance, theatre, music, opera, visual arts, popular culture and innovative contemporary work incorporating the latest digital technologies will come together in ground-breaking combinations.
Here, the world’s best artists will let their imaginations run free as they experiment and embark on new collaborations, the fruits of which will be premiered in Manchester before traveling the world.
Next stop Middlewood Locks by Whittam Cox Architects.
The site is located in Salford, on the edge of Manchester City Centre. We were appointed as Lead Consultant to develop the vision and design for this vibrant new neighbourhood of over 2,000 new homes and 750,000 sq.ft for commercial use. The 24 acre brownfield site has been in a dilapidated state for decades, formerly occupied by terraced housing, mills, warehouse, rail and industrial uses. The design intent for the whole scheme is to provide for a long-term sustainable, liveable community, with strong ties to the local history and character of the area.
Carpino Place – The development is named after Archbishop Francesco Carpino who, in 1966 along with the then mayor of Salford, laid the foundation stone of The Stella Maris Seaman’s Mission, which previously occupied the site.
Construction of the homes, which were designed by Buttress Architects, was completed in 2018.
En passant who can ignore this elegant BT Telephone Exchange?
Now we are off to Timekeepers Square – a development of 36 townhouses that forms part of the English Cities Fund’s Salford Central regeneration scheme.
A primary urban design aim for the project was to reinstate the area’s historic street pattern, where this had been destroyed, and re-introduce a legibility to the streets that would strengthen the area’s centrepiece – St Phillips Church. The strategic plan for Timekeepers Square, therefore, has been to create clearly defined rows of terraces that relate in a sensitive and contemporary manner to neighbouring Georgian terraces, responding to them in height, massing, and rhythm.
Valette Square has been shortlisted for a prestigious Housing Design Award in the projects category.
Castlegate, Salford; buildings are simplified to simple blocks of colour against the pale sky, indistinct dark figures walk the streets depicted in the bottom left corner. Sacred Trinity church can be seen to the right of the painting, with other surrounding buildings in red and light brown. The result is a depiction of a busy street in an industrial city context, to the left a dark shape extends vertically across the canvas.
Designed for The English Cities Fund, the project brings forward 33 innovative two, three and-four bedroom townhouses, situated just off Chapel Street, Salford’s historic and civic core.
The townhouses’ design responds to the area’s existing Georgian vernacular and echoes the appearance of Timekeepers Square, providing a close visual relationship between the two developments. The proposed brick picks up on the grey and white blend found at the neighbouring homes and incorporates red multi-tones, referencing local, historic red brick buildings, which allows the scheme to sit sensitively within its context, while also being read as a new distinct community.
The Filaments designed by OMI Architects – The development, which has now been handed over to Grainger, is split across three blocks: Neon, Halogen and Lamp.
2 thoughts on “Salford Nouveau”
Have used one of your images as the cover art for my latest track on SoundCloud
Not a problem – though I believe the convention is to ask for permission first.