Beginning at Frederick Gibberd’s – Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King.
Walking toward Giles Gilbert Scott’s – Anglican Cathedral via the University Campus.
We are greeted by William Mitchell’s sliding door panels.
Let’s take a look inside.
Above is the tower with large areas of stained glass designed by John Piper and Patrick Reyntiens in three colours – yellow, blue and red, representing the Trinity.
On the altar, the candlesticks are by RY Goodden and the bronze crucifix is by Elisabeth Frink. Above the altar is a baldachino designed by Gibberd as a crown-like structure composed of aluminium rods, which incorporates loudspeakers and lights. Around the interior are metal Stations of the Cross, designed by Sean Rice. Rice also designed the lectern, which includes two entwined eagles. In the Chapel of Reconciliation, the stained glass was designed by Margaret Traherne. Stephen Foster designed, carved and painted the panelling in the Chapel of St. Joseph. The Lady Chapel contains a statue of the Virgin and Child by Robert Brumby and stained glass by Margaret Traherne. In the Blessed Sacrament Chapel is a reredos and stained glass by Ceri Richards and a small statue of the Risen Christ by Arthur Dooley. In the Chapel of Unity is a bronze stoup by Virginio Ciminaghi, and a mosaic of the Pentecost by Hungarian artist Georg Mayer-Marton which was moved from the Church of the Holy Ghost, Netherton, when it was demolished in 1989. The gates of the Baptistry were designed by David Atkins.
On now to the University.
Vine & Chestnut Houses by Gerald Beech 1967-70
Computing Services Electrical Engineering & Electronics by Yorke, Rosenberg & Mardall 1962-74
Harold Cohen Library 1938 – Harold A Dod of Willink & Dod
Learning by Eric Kennington 1938
Sherrington Buildings 1951-57 – Weightman & Bullen.
These days of peace foster learning
Let There be light!
Dental Hospital 1965-69 Anthony Clark Partnership
Royal Liverpool Hospital 1978 Holford Associates.
Designed by NBBJ and HKS – The Royal Hospital is one of the national infrastructure schemes being delivered under a Government PFI contract, with work having started in 2014 led by now-collapsed contractor Carillion.
After Carillion went into administration, further issues were uncovered during a structural review by Arup in 2018, including that the cladding on the building was unsafe and the project had to be reviewed and re-costed as a result. The targeted completion date is now five years later than planned.
William Henry Duncan Building 2017 by AHR Architects
Life Sciences Building
Mathematics and Oceanography Building 1961 by Bryan & Norman Westwood & Partners
Metal screen 1961 by John McCarthy also responsible for the Concrete Wall at the New Century Hall Manchester.
The History and Essence of Mathematics 1961 terrossa ferrata panes by John McCarthy.
Central Teaching Hub by Robert Gardner-Medwin in association with Saunders Boston and Brock 1965-67
Abstract Reliefs by David Le Marchant Brock in collaboration with Frederick Bushe.
Big Bird 1964 by Sir Frank Rowling
Square with Two Circles by Barbara Hepworth 1964
Re-sited from its original setting.
Just around the corner a Relief by Hubert Dalwood aka Nibs
Senate House by Tom Mellor & Partners 1966-68
Chadwick Building by Sir Basil Spence 1963-68
Abstract mosaic Geoffrey Clarke.
Three Uprights by Hubert Dalwood 1960
Materials Innovation Factory by Fairhursts Design Group 2016
Muspratt Lecture Theatre
Bubble Chamber Tracks by Geoffrey Clarke 1968
Donnan and Robert Robinson Building
Oliver Lodge Building by Tom Mellor & Partners 1966-68
Sports Centre by Denys Lasdun 1963-66
Bedford House by Gerald Beech 1965-66
Gordon Stephenson Building by Gordon Stephenson 1950-51
Door handles by Mitzi Solomon-Cunliffe.
Rendall Building by Bryan & Norman Westwood, Piet & Partners 1964-6
Between the concrete is glass by Gillian Rees-Thomas – she was also responsible for the side chapel windows at St Mark’s Broomhill Sheffield.
Within the courtyard site Mitzi Solomon Cunliffe’s – Quickening 1951
Roxby Building by Bryan & Norman Westwood, Piet & Partners 1961-66
South Teaching Hub by Bryan & Norman Westwood, Piet & Partners 1961-66
Sydney Jones Library by Sir Basil Spence
Further Reading: Liverpool Campus Built Heritage
Onward now taking in some sites along the way.
Philharmonic Hall by Herbert J Rowse 1936-69
Federation House by Gilling Dod and Partners 1965-66
Relief Decoration by William Mitchell